Established in 1967, with the Aim of Prevention, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Psychiatric Illnesses as well as to promote mental health and destigmatizing mental health problems and various drug addictions, the Department of Psychiatry is dedicated to provide all the necessary services and facilities to the people.
The Department of Psychiatry is Post-Graduate teaching Department providing the very best of training programs to the undergraduate and post graduate students as well as providing treatment of all types of Behavioral and mental disorders in accordance to the latest international and national guidelines. The department provides Out Patient services, In-Patient services, Outreach and Referral services.
The Department achieved an academic milestone in 2006 when post graduate courses were started in the department. Since then, till date approximately 20 postgraduate students have been awarded MD Psychiatry degree.As per latest NMC recommendations, the annual intake of PG students have been increased from 2 to 5 from academic year 2021.
Faculty members and PG students have been actively participating in research work and presented papers in various conferences. Total 15 publications have been published in various national and international journals in last 5 years. The Department has won three awards for best research papers twice in last 5 years.
· The Department of Psychiatry has 15 bedded Male ward, 13 bedded Female ward, and 12 bedded dedicated De-Addiction Center with adequate facilities for patients and caregivers.
· Routine OPD and IPD services along with psychotherapy sessions are provided throughout the week.
· The Department is running Specialty clinics like Child guidance clinic, Geriatric clinic, De-addiction clinic, Psycho-sexual &Family counseling, and Suicide prevention clinic are being run on a regular basis.
· The Department is running the District unit of National Mental Health Program providing decentralized mental health care at CHC and PHC level.
· The Department is having a qualified Clinical psychologist who regularly engages in psychological assessments and therapeutic interventions of the patients and assists in medico-legal cases.
· The Department provides outreach mental health services at Narishala (the shelter home for destitute and homeless women) , Apna Ghar (shelter home for homeless mentally ill), Bal Sadan and Balika Sadan (shelter home for juvenile homeless boys and girls respectively), Bal SamprekshanGrih ( Shelter home for Juvenile Criminals) and Chanchal Care Home (shelter home for HIV infected Children).