Sardar Patel Medical College
Sardar Patel Medical College History
Shri Mohan Lal Sukhadia, the Chief Minister of Rajasthan laid down the foundation stone of this Medical College on 5th Feb. 1959. Later on Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru laid a corner stone on 1st April 1959. Dr. S. C. Mehta took over the charge of Officer on special duty in Dec. 1958 and he became the first Principal of second medical college in the state, when the first batch of 45 students joined in 1959 (though the first medical institution in the present Rajasthan was opened as early as mid nineteenth century in in Jaipur but it had a very short life due to opposition by the public for the dissection of the human dead bodies, and was soon forgotten).
The name of our college has an interesting story. Initially, it was Bikaner Medical College as the people of Bikaner had offered a handsome sum to be donated. When this did not materialize substantially, Late Dr. S. C. Mehta, in consultation of Govt. of Rajasthan, decided to name the college after Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel, the architect of Modern India. The namkaran ceremony was to be presided over by late Mrs. Indira Gandhi who was deputed by the then Prime Minister, Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru, but the function never held due to the car accident of the then Rajasthan Chief Minister, Mr. Mohan Lal Sukhadia. Only the printed invitation cards remind us about the function.
During the earlier years (July 1959 to January 1964) the college was housed in building of War Hospital No.1, which later became teachers' training college, just next to Kirti Stambh. The long projecting extensions towards Kirti Stambh were newly constructed for the dissection hall. The central dome of the building housed the Library. Physiology dept. and the Boys' hostel were on the first floor. The play ground opposite the building was the result of 'Shramdan' by the teachers and students of the college. The early batches of the students were given personal attention comparable to that given in public schools. Great stress was laid on good traditions. The principal used to dine once a month with students in the hostel and used to hear about their grievances and problems.
During 1962, to celebrate the Silver jubilee of P.B.M. Hospital, the cobalt plant was decided to be installed in the institution. The Govt. of India was prepared to give the plant free of cost, provided the hospital administration could collect suitable funds for constructing the necessary accommodation. A committee was constructed by Dr. S. P. Wanchoo, the then principal, consisting of Dr. G. K. Mukherji, Dr. M. N. Kathju and Dr. Himmat Singh to go to Calcutta and collect money for the building of cobalt plant. They collected some 1.25 lacs rupees only. Subsequently, during the tenure of Dr. D. G. Ojha, more money was collected and the cobalt plant was installed.
The college was shifted to the present building in the early 1964 when Dr. D. G. Ojha took over as the Principal. The main highway between college and the hospital was constructed by the 'Shramdan' of the students and staff in twelve days of mourning after the death of Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru, the first prime Minister of India, beginning 27th May 1964. Subsequently, the road was tarred and today it stands as the main communication channel between hospital and college.
Form L to R : Shri Jawahar Lal Nehru (The then Prime Minister of India)
The college was recognized by the Medical Council of India in 1964, when the first batch of students were appearing in the final year of M.B.B.S. It was recognized for M.D. (Medicine, Physiology, Pathology and Pharmacology) and M.S. (Gen. Surg., and Obst. & Gyne.) in January 1967. The college was recognized for M.S. (Ophthalmology) in July 1967 and soon after for M.D. (Pediatrics) and M.S. (E.N.T. Diseases).M.S. (Orthopaedic) got recognized in 1970.
The coronary care unit was established in 1975-76. This was the first coronary care unit in Rajasthan. In 1976, the campaign for planting trees were launched and that had yielded good results. The fountain in front of college was also started in 1976. For the addition of long awaited swimming pool, the credit goes to the Principal Dr. K. D. Gupta who had prevailed upon the then Health Minister in November 1976, to agree for it. The anesthesia department got the ABL-II machine for the first time in 1978 for blood gas analysis. Dr. S. N. Mishra took over as Principal & Controller in August 1980. During his tenure many facilities were started including E.E.G., E.M.G., Haemodialysis, Echocardiography, Tread mill test, Endoscopies and Respiratory care units. The development during his tenure was mainly medicine oriented; the surgical side got totally ignored.read more