DEPARTMENT OF SKIN, VD & LEPROSY
Department of Dermatology, Venereology & Leprosy came into existence in 1951 under the chairmenship of Late Prof. Dr. M.P. Mathur and subsequently headed by Dr. S.M. Mathur (1971-1978), Dr Rishi Bhargava (1978-1979), Dr. N.K. Mathur (1979-2001), Dr. V.N. Saxena in 2001 and 2007 for a brief period, Dr. S.R. Shukla (2001-2006), Dr. Dinesh Mathur (2007-2011), Dr. U.S. Agarwal (2011-2015) and Dr. C.M. Kuldeep (2015 onwards).
It is located in the separate block of charak bhawan at JLN road. Subsequent to the mass awareness campaigns and availability of specialists of the field, the OPD number started rising from hundreds and has escalated to an average daily OPD of>1,50,000 patients in the year 2014.
The bed occupancy of Inpatients has also increased with specialized care for immunobullous disease and drug reaction patients, with 30 beds in male ward and 30 in female ward.
Our beloved Prof. Dr. U.S. Agarwal became principle of SMS Medical College in 2015, first from dermatology department.
Our faculty has innumerable publications in national and international journals. Lots of research-work is done in department for years with great success.
Achievements of department
New inventions introduced by our department
1. Jaipur block for post hepatic neuralgia by Dr. Rishi Bhargava
2. ‘Ear Sign’ given by Dr. U.S. Agarwal
3. Rangnathan Memorial Award 1992, received by Dr. U.S. Agarwal
4. Sher-E-Kashmir Mohammad Abdulla Award, received four times by Dr. U.S. Agarwal
5. Panatrophygowers, a rare disease first introduced by the department
6. Role of zinc in macrophage function in leprosy patient demonstrated by the department
7. Punch grafting introduced by department in the field of vitiligo surgery
8. Highest number of faculties working in department of dermatology and venereology in country.
Under the guidance of our renowned faculty Dr. Rishi Bhargava, Dr. NK Mathur, Dr. Dinesh Mathur, Dr. US Agarwal, Dr. CM Kuldeep, Dr. Deepak Kumar Mathur national conference DERMACON in 1990 and 2012 was conducted with success.
Various Cuticon have been organized by this department.
International Conferences of Dermatopathology and Annual meeting of Dermatopathology society of India 15th-17th Nov, 2013, Jaipur