Department Of Physiology
The Department of Physiology at S.M.S. Medical College and Attached Hospitals, Jaipur caters to academics and research activities both at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. In an ongoing process in innovations in medical education, patient care and research, the Department is exploring the physiological issues pertaining to Neurophysiology, Cognitive and Higher Mental Functions Physiology, Autonomic Functions, Cardiac Physiology, Respiratory Physiology, Exercise Physiology, Hemato-Physiology, Metabolic and Endocrine Physiology. The Department with the dynamic and visionary lead from The Principal, S.M.S. Medical College Attached Hospitals, Jaipur documented for the first time across the globe the finding of dysfunctional Mirror Neurons System (‘Broken Mirrors’ of Professor V.S. Ramachandran) in children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and is presently actively involved in exploration on the above cited physiology axes. The above activities of the Department are ably supported by the requisite facilities available in the Department:
· Hemato – Physiology Laboratory: The Hemato-physiology profiling along with cytomorphometric analysis gives the desired inputs in appreciation of the physiological basis of haematological issues in health and disease and the implications of cytomorphometric matrix in the respective cell physiology.
· Amphibian / Electro – Physiology Laboratory: Students in this laboratory receive practical training in the physiological issues related to Muscle and Nerve Physiology, Respiratory Physiology and Cardiac Physiology and the department is in the process of re-framing the techniques of demonstrations and practicals in real-time of clinical issues related to the said Organ Physiology Systems.
· Human / Clinical Physiology Laboratory: Clinical aspects and the physiological basis of applications in Clinical Medicine is explored and experimented in this Laboratory. Students learn various issues pertaining to clinical examination and the underlying physiological principles are explained.
· Mammalian Physiology Laboratory: The Laboratory in collaboration with the Department of Pharmacology to explore and experiment the pharmaco-physiological issues related to the chemical substance/drug given parentally.
· Neurophysiology Laboratory: Issues related to neural dynamics in health and disease are explored in this laboratory and an attempt is underway to model the physiological perspectives of the human mind.
· Autonomic Functions Laboratory:- The assessment of autonomic functions and its profiling in health and disease is attempted in this station of the department.
· Cardio- Respiratory and Exercise Laboratory:- Physiological issues pertaining to the Organ System Physiology of the Respiratory and cardiovascular System is explored and delineated in health and disease.
· Metabolic Physiology Laboratory: Systems in metabolism and endocrine axes are experimented and avenues are explored wherein modification may be attempted with the physiological domains.