Department Of Nephrology
Facilities in Our Department
· Outpatient services are provided from Monday to Saturday.
· 60 bed inpatient ward with almost 100% occupancy.
· Patients suffering from acute and chronic kidney diseases are managed.
· Dedicated hemodialysis unit with 18 modern machines with latest R.O. system for round the clock hemodialysis. Approximately 800 hemodialysis are done month. Separate machines for patients infected with Hepatitis.
· Facility for plasmapharesis.
· Facility for continuous renal replacement therapy.
· Acute peritoneal dialysis unit consist of 18 beds which is one of the largest providing round the clock peritoneal dialysis services.
· Dedicated ward for patients on CAPD.
· Interventional nephrology services include central venous catheterization, permcath insertion, ultrasound guided renal biopsy, CAPD catheter insertion and AV fistula creation in conjunction with Dept of vascular surgery.
· Approximately 40-50 kidney transplants are done every year in conjunction with dept of Urology. An active cadaveric transplantation program has recently started.
The department provides all aspects of nephrology care. Over 300 renal transplants have been performed at SMS Hospital with more than 90% one year survival. The department provides free dialysis services to all.
The department is actively involved in research with publications in all leading national and international journals and presentation at various international conferences.