Department Of Immuno Haematology & Transfusion Medicine
Blood donation and transfusion service is an indispensable part of contemporary medicine and health care. Blood management has been recognized as a challenging task because of life threatening nature of blood products entails the punctilious administration due to its perishable nature & required timely processing and it also saves the life. Transfusions are used in a variety of medical conditions to replace lost components of the blood. Early transfusions used whole blood, but modern medical practice commonly uses only components of the blood, such as red blood cells, white blood cells, plasma, clotting factors, and platelets.
SMS Blood Bank has two more Blood Banks
1. Zanana Hospital and
2. Mahila Chikitsalaya
SMS Blood Bank has also various Storage Unit like Trauma Centre, J.K. Loan, Gangori Hospital, Community Health Centre, Bassi and Community Health Centre, Govindgarh etc.
· There is 100% component preparation from every unit of collected blood thus giving the desired component of blood to the patients and avoiding wastage, rather proper utilization of Blood Units.
· Latest equipments for Blood Bank are present and latest techniques are used for Blood Procedures.
· Every drop of Blood is utilized and plasma is used for preparing Albumin from National Plasma Fractionation Centre, Mumbai / Reliance Life Sciences.
· Blood is collected from replacement as well as voluntary donors by organizing camps at their doorsteps. Approximately 244 Voluntary Donation Camps are held every year.
· Involved in training for those related with Blood Bank and Transfusion Medicine.
· Attended various National & International Conferences and Workshops in the field of Transfusion Medicine.
· Supplied 300 units Blood to Gujarat Earthquake Victims in January 2001.
· SMS Hospital, Blood Bank has been identified as Zonal Training Centre for training Programme under blood safety by Rajasthan State Blood Transfusion Council.
· Selected by M.P. & West Bengal State AIDS Control Society for training of their Blood Bank specialist for Blood Component Separation.