History of College
One hospital and one dispensary were started in 1845. Subsequently, such facilities were recommended for other parts of the state as well. However, due to lack of trained doctors the initiative with limited success, In 1855, a maternity hospital and one dispensary and a medical school were opened in Jaipur, inaugurated on 7th September, 1861 and in the first batch 24 students were admitted. Dr. Kingford Burr was appointed as director of this college and he used to teach material medical, practical therapeutics, surgery and practice of medicine. Later, Dr. Najeeb Khan and Dr. Hussain Baksh were appointed as demonstrator in anatomy and assistant surgeon Parvati Charan Gosh was appointed as lecturer to teach principles and practice of medicine, Physiology and materia medica.
Three year later (1861-64) over differences certain unfortunate developments led to closure of the medical school which was still in its infancy. In 1945, late Sir Mirza Ismail, prime minister of Jaipur state, during his visit to Sikar, was invited for tea by Late Rao Raja Kalian Singh of Sikar at his guest house. Incidentally, the chief medical officer, Dr. S. C. Mehta was also one of the invitees. During discussions, Dr. Mehta pointed out that doctors coming from other states leave the services as soon as they get suitable jobs in their parent states and hence there was always a shortage of doctors. The solution which he recommended was establishing a medical college in our own state. Sir Mirza then started working on this project. On March 13th, 1946 Lord Wavell laid the foundation-stone of SMS college in a very impressive function presided over by H.H.Sawai Man Singh, the Maharaja of Jaipur.
The year 1947 marked the beginning of a new era in medical education in Rajasthan with the inception of the 15th centre for medical education in India , the prestigious Sawai Man Singh Medical College , Initially, the college started work in the south wing of SMS Hospital and in the building of the Jaipur Medical Association. Dr. G.N.Sen was its first principal. He had a short tenure and was succeeded by Dr. S.C.Mehta, famous for his great zeal, drive and sense of discipline. His acumen in choosing his staff reflected in selection of Dr. H.C.Choudhary, first professor of Physiology, and Dr.B.M.Lal, first professor of anatomy, both of whom were loved and admired by their students. Professor Ram Bihari Arora and professor R.K.Goel were the fortunate ones to head the department of pharmacology and pathology respectively. In 1951, Dr. S.K.Menon took over as principal of the college .In 1952, the college was recognized by the Medical Council of India and the foundation of a new OPD block was laid in the succeeding year. 1952 also marked the beginning of P.G Courses and the first batch of M.D. and M.S. students qualified in 1955.